I’ve been a roleplayer and gamer for many years, pretty much exclusively in the real world as the motion sickness I have prevents me playing most computer games (good thing too, otherwise I’d never have become a writer – or done much else).
Games Workshop and the Warhammer phenomenon have been at the fringe of my awareness for decades. Of all the things they’ve produced, the Harlequins of Warhammer 40,000 are the only things that really caught my imagination. I even had a set of the original ones, but sold it untouched as my painting skills at the time, while competent, weren’t up to the task of doing them justice. Plus, you needed a lot of money to build a Harlequin army.
Last year, Games Workshop announced Kill Team, a skirmish-level standalone game set in the Warhammer 40k universe. This, I thought, would be an ideal time to get half a dozen Harlequins and have some fun. Then I saw the prices and decided otherwise.
At near the end of last year, a friend gave me a Harlequin troupe. A simple gift, but much appreciated. Scaring up a second-hand Kill team manual didn’t take long, but I found my tendencies to write stories fired by my new Harlequin troupe. Within days, I had a background for them and some daft ideas. As things tend to do when they are meant to be, several things fell into place and I wound up with a part built, part rebuilt, largely unfinished, and long abandoned Forgeworld Revenant Titan. As I laid out the bits, I realised I’d stepped off the deep end as far as my model making skills were concerned. On top of that, the thing is huge.
Given this was to be a Harlequin titan, I had some offbeat ideas for how it should be armed. Upon seeing the parts, I suddenly came up with the idea of adding a webway gate to the build. After some research, I decided a pulsar could remain, but needed power sword to allow closer range work. A fire prism would replace the other pulsar. After all, I reasoned, if I’m going to be out of my depth and making it up as I go along, I might as well try to get it all in.
The concept being that the troupe, named the Masque of Isha’s Grace, had been one of those dedicated to supplementing the defences around the Black Library. Every member had heard the voice of the lost Eldar goddess Isha, calling them from the webway. To what end remains unclear. So, they do what the battle dancers do – defend the galaxy from the encroachment of Chaos. With the change in Cegorach’s approach, and guided by a whisper from she whom they refer to as the Mother of Tears, they have stepped into the real to wage war alongside any who would lay the banners of Chaos down.
Taking some fine hints as to body dynamics and where to start from the tutorial on Oink’s Overambitious Terrain Projects blog, and having the legs already constructed, I chose to work with what I’d been given. All the advice I saw demanded that I start with the legs, but, before that, I needed to have a good idea of the final pose I wanted. That took a while. When a set of Tiny Worlds resin rock outcrops arrived, it came together quite quickly.
As the Titan is to be displayed with the rest of the Masque, the round base was discarded and a 300mm square picture frame acquired, to give base and edging, followed by a 310mm square heavy black resin cutting board to be the base for the finished display.
What followed was somewhere around fifty hours work. There are 78 pictures and as WordPress will have a fit if I try to include the lot, I’ve placed them over on my image blog, Slow Missiles. Photos: 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, 61-70, 71-78
I hope my amateur efforts are of interest, and possibly save someone else trouble.
The Masque is away being painted and the Titan will be joining them soon. Which is why the build of the Titan is lacking pauldrons, thigh guards and main manouvre jet units, as fitting them would make proper paintwork impossible.
I will put up a new post with the complete Masque of Isha’s Grace, including credits and info, when they’re finished and back.